Monday, June 23, 2008

Mrs. Texas Pageant

Redonia and I have been invited to be guests of honor Saturday, June 28, 2008 at Mrs. Texas Pageant Finals to be held in Southlake, Texas. This will be a fun way to spend my 45th birthday. It is not often that Redonia and I get too spend ‘alone’ time. Most of our time is shared with others.

Not only will Redonia and I be observers at the pageant but we will spend time backstage with the pretty ladies, their hairstylists and etc. After the crowning of Mrs. Texas we will join each of the ladies, judges, and their husbands for a celebration.

We will be guests of Mrs. Montgomery County, the county in which we reside. Mrs. Montgomery County, Katherine J. George, her husband David, and their sons, David, Jr. and Matteo have attended our church for the past couple of years. Katherine comes from a strong Catholic background and has enjoyed learning about Pentecost. I have been privileged to spend time with Katherine and have enjoyed having her in our home.

Katherine is a most thoughtful, caring person. Later this year Katherine will begin studying for her doctorate. Currently she is completing her MA Ed Curriculum and Instruction. Before moving to Texas, Katherine was a resident of NYC where she participated in the Miss New York pageant. I will not be surprised if Katherine receives the honor of Mrs. Texas. She is not only a lady of great beauty but one of great compassion for children and education. Her platform will be public awareness of Special education needs and training in private educational settings.

While I know Katherine’s goal is to become Mrs. Texas and then on to compete in Arizona for Mrs. America, I also know that Katherine has a goal for her family to become better Christians. Today David will fly with their oldest son to upstate New York to situate him in boarding school for his high school years. David Jr. is a freshman. His parents have found a most prestigious school free of television and much of the things teens involve themselves. At lunch yesterday I chatted with young David. He stated the main purpose of this choice of schools is to better equip him for an Ivy League College. He hopes to complete high school in three years so he can rapidly gain acceptance to reach his higher goals. While I am proud of the intelligence of my young friend, I regret he will not be a part of CUPC nor Rush, the youth of Conroe. Prayer and Bible reading will be a strong part of the disciplines learned at the upstate New York school. I pray David will continue to study and seek out the things taught him in Sunday School in Conroe.

Please join me in prayer for this fine family. They own several businesses. David is an engineer in pursuit of many interesting inventions currently. They have great interest in the growth plans of CUPC and our christian school. I believe God is going to use the wisdom and life experiences of this family for the growth of CUPC. I also believe that God is going to grow in this family.

6 comments:

Rochelle said...

Sounds like a great day to spend together! And I love reading about all the ways God uses you... will be praying!!

Vicki said...

and one childhood dream for me was to attend a Miss America pageant. I don't know why but it was? I think because in 4th grade the Miss America pageant was held in Mobile, Alabama and our school was chosen to 'host' Miss Texas and I was the one that got to meet her at the a/port with my teacher.

Have lots of fun!

Amanda said...

What a tremendous time I am sure you will both have. Please tell Sis George that I will be praying for her during this competition. The Georges are very unique and interesting...I loved the many conversations she and I had.

Have a great time! (Can Donia take her camera? If so hope she gets lots of pictures!)

Sis Amanda

Anonymous said...

Have fun in Southlake! We live in Southlake area and it is a wonderful place. Maybe we will bump into each other.

Veta McLaughlin

Tracie Smith said...

Hello Veta! Thanks for stopping by. I tried to see if you had a blog or secure your private email address and wasn't successful. If you blog send me your address if not, girl get to blogging and stay connected with those of us who do. It was great seeing you guys @ camp meeting. I enjoyed getting to visit with your sis, too. I'm glad they are back in Texas! Love you!

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

I offer but one comment........

I know that it is a bit unusual for a pastor's wife to attend such an event....

But so was it unususual for Jesus to go to Simon's house and have the lady of ill repute come and kneel at his feet.....

But she walked into his presence....

And wept her way into his kingdom....

Katherine and her family are moving towards the Lord and anything we can do as a pastor and wife to facilitate that then so be it....