Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Kent, thanks for being an awesome Dad. Redonia and Trent are truly blessed to have you as their Daddy. Your love shows in all you do. Thanks for always encouraging them to always do what’s right. Thank you for always making family time quality time. I know I have laughed at you this week for crying and missing Trent, but Babe, thank you for loving enough to miss Trent so badly. Thank you for making Redonia feel like a princess. Thank you for spoiling us all rotten. I love you more than life. Thanks for being a great Father-in-Law to Calah!

Daddy, where do I start? You still have my heart even though it has been 27 years since I have seen you. In many ways it does not seem like it has been so long since you left. Thanks for being a perfect Dad. Thanks for being tough on me. Thanks for not letting me do what everyone else did. Thanks for taking time to laugh, play, and listen. Oh thanks for the time you broke my arm wrestling with me even though Mom was fussing before and after. She knew we wouldn’t stop until someone got hurt! Thanks for being a great Pastor. I still remember some of your sermons. Thanks for teaching me to love the lost and enjoy bus ministry. I don’t think I’ll ever be as good as you but I sure am trying. Thanks for spoiling me by buying lots of shoes and always keeping them polished, too. Thanks for the many trips to Dauphine Island to play in the surf and sand. Thanks for the many times you would run your finger over furniture that I polished. I still remember having to redo the whole house if you found one item not dusted properly. Thanks for being silly and making us laugh. I know you would love your grandchildren. I wish Redonia and Trent could have known you. Daddy, I hate cancer. I know you taught us that no matter what God is still a healer. Thanks, Dad!!! I know He is. Even though I have spent more Father’s Days without you, it still isn’t any easier. Daddy, I miss you!!!!

Popsie, Happy Father’s Day! I love you very much. Thank you for loving me like a daughter yet allowing me to still wish my Daddy was here. Thank you for understanding that it doesn’t mean I love you any less. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for being the best Popsie Redonia and Trent could want. Thank you for loving them just like they are really yours. I know as for as they are concerned you really are!!! Thanks for being more than a step-dad.

Papaw, you are a wonderful father-in-law. Happy Father’s Day! I love you just like you are. I love it when you try to involve yourself in a current affair of ours and say “Let Pops tell you something and I don’t mean to get in your business.” I do value your opinions! I love all your jokes and stories even though I could quote many of them in my sleep. Don’t let Mamaw ever make you stop telling them. They are still really funny! Thank you for giving me my best friend, Kent. Thanks for teaching him how to serve God with all his heart and work his guts out, too! Remember when you fuss at Kent to slow down who taught him to be so driven! I love you!

I’m thankful not only for these earthly fathers but my heavenly Father. Thank you, Jesus, for being a father to me during those years of being fatherless. Thank you for your love and mercy. Just as I have striven to ensure my earthly Fathers know I love them I want you to know I love you.

Happy Father’s Day!

3 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

What a wonderful tribute to the special fathers in your life. Loved the personal touch you shared with us.

Jana Allard said...

Such a sweet, beautiful post. It brought a lump to my throat.

Steven Saiz said...

Great post!