Thursday, April 22, 2010

Listen to Him

Mark 9:7 (NIV) Then a cloud appeared and enveloped them, and a voice came from the cloud: "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!"

Being the Mother of children with a love for music there always seemed to be noise in our home or vehicles. I do not share the same love or appreciation for music as the other members of my family. At some point along the way Kent’s passion for music switched to Talk Show Radio and soon after the kids learned to love it, too. I learned to be in a car or room with a talk show or music playing loudly yet not hear a thing that was being spoken or sang. Honestly, I heard the “noise” in a very loud and annoying sense yet I did hear anything specifically spoken. My family cannot understand how the volume is loud and with perfectly good hearing I cannot hear.

Maybe Mark 9:7 leaped from the page with a different meaning to me than some because of my natural abilities or ways. “Listen” may mean to grow still, stop talking, or may imply the person speaking is talking softly. However, “listen” to me implies pay close attention to what is being said.

Before our first child was born a concern of mine was I would not hear her cry in the night. Amazingly however, I didn’t have to hear her cry loudly nor for long periods to awaken me. The slightest movement in her crib would awaken me. I loved this new bundle of joy and my ear was attuned to her.

Of late my husband’s hearing has declined. In a normal office or home setting he has no problem hearing. Most of the difficulty is in a loud restaurant. Background noises prohibit him from hearing the persons speaking sitting near him. This has become a great point of frustration. When entertaining guests I endeavor to be considerate of Kent when making dining out plans.

Listening and hearing are very important concepts in our relationship with the Lord. Often, we make decisions in our lives based on our feelings, emotions or others and never consider the Lord. Then, again we feel our decisions are based on God when every principle of the Word is violated. God and His Word cannot be separated therefore God is not a part of such decision.

Last evening a lady shared with me a situation that occurred on her job which is an environment of non-believers for the most part. However, one coworker shares similar religious beliefs. This person began to tell my friend things that “God” had spoken to her. Unfortunately, she was accusing ladies on the job including the lady from our church of things that have not happened. Finally, my friend proclaimed God did not tell you this because what you are saying is a lie and God cannot lie. This morning upon reading Mark 9:7 I could not help but question how many times have I heard voices and confused it with the voice of God. Fears, personal desires, frustrations, the crowd can be factors of confusing thoughts.

Regardless of circumstances or noises around me I want to listen to the voice of God. Just as I very carefully heard the noises of my babies and can clearly recognize even the footsteps of my husband I want to be in such an intimate relationship with the Lord that I know the difference of his voice and confusing spirits.

NOTE: Again the scripture is derived from a devotion on Crosswalk today. There are many online resources for scripture reading and devotions. Though I enjoy reading from devotionals I never want to allow these to 'think' for me. I always ensure the scripture is posted correctly and the interpretation is accurate or measures to the Word of God. Then I sit and meditate upon it I am thankful for so many wonderful places to provoke my thoughts.

No comments: