Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Lesson from a Dream

Last night’s sleep/awake cycle has dominated my devotion this morning. I dreamed the same dream several times but awoke each time to pray. During each prayer I felt a calm assurance all was well. Then I drifted back to sleep and the cycle began over and over again.

I dreamed there was a bent over person wearing a black cape and hood moving my door knob in attempt to quietly sneak in my front door. I walked swiftly from my bedroom to the front door. Our front door is leaded glass with a leaded glass side light. Before approaching the door I could vividly see the person turning the knob. As I approached the door the person obviously saw me and fled. I never touched the door and would then go back to my bedroom. At this point I woke up.

This morning in reflection I am reminded of several things. First, it occurred to me this was an evil spirit. How horrible to think than an evil spirit was attempting to walk into my home one might say! However, I challenge this thinking and say evil spirits try everyday to get into each of our homes. I’m thankful that I was keen enough to hear the slight rattle of the door knob or maybe it was just that I sensed someone was at the door. What if I would not have heard or sensed something? The spirit could have come in and attacked me or one of my family members. Maybe he would not have been brave enough at that moment to attack but could have hid in a closet or under a bed and oppressed us with his presence until we became weak and vulnerable for his attack

When I saw the evil spirit I didn’t run, hide, or scream for help. I simply kept walking towards the door confronting the very presence of the spirit. It didn’t take a war to get him away from my door. He was persistent and came back several times or at least I dreamed it several times. Maybe God had to be persistent with me several times so I would understand all the dynamics of the dream. Either way, I realize that there was not a fight rather I confronted the spirit and he left.

After the dream I woke up and prayed asking God to protect us and tried to determine the meaning. How many times have I not been sensitive and let something creep in robbing me of my joy, strength, health, emotions, and torment my family? I want to be sensitive and recognize the power that resides within me. I have no reason to fear or be tormented by evil spirits. I can confidently address the spirit. In prayer God will give me the calm assurance that everything is alright. Too often when a tormenting spirit comes we become overcome in the battle. From now on I want to confidently address it and then walk away. In my dream, I did not open the door to ensure the spirit was not there nor did I stand guard of the door. I didn’t call my husband to go out with his gun or call the police because someone was trying to get in the house. I simply walked back to my room and rested.

Normally, when I dream something I feel is spiritual I wake up and move to the living room to pray. Last night was different for some strange reason. I stayed on my pillow and softly prayed then very quickly drifted back to sleep. This morning this has been an important part of my devotion. I have felt the Lord speaking to me saying we don’t have to be tormented or overcome in the battle nor expend lots of energy fighting against things that come to rob us of doing the things we are called. I wonder how many times I have wasted time and energy guarding against something coming back that doesn’t even have the power to come back. From now on I want to confidently address evil spirit and then walk away in the same assurance that everything is going to be ok with God on my side.