Sunday, April 11, 2010

Facebook or Jesus?

Facebook is a social networking site I belong and enjoy. It is totally private if the account is set to be viewed by 'friends' only. I don't recommend meeting new people on Facebook (accepting friends with those you don't know or having the account set as public) In fact I feel it is dangerous for everyone and more especially teens to utilize it for making new relationships. Some times, however, I have become acquainted with someone - a visiting minister's wife, etc and later connect to them on Facebook. Facebook allows me to get to know the person better. It has also proven a great tool for me to keep up with family and friends who live 100's of miles from me. I have also been blessed to reconnect with friends of years gone by using Facebook.

Facebook should not be used as a sole piece of communication relaying important information to those who may need to know. The more friends a person is connected to the more difficult it becomes to read every status update or comment. I currently have 763 Facebook friends. When I read updates I never take the time to go back and read everything since my previous time to read. In other words I leave gaps and miss MANY updates. Hence, don't use facebook to tell me something important. Now if you choose to send me a private email via Facebook I will eventually read it but again I may not connect to Facebook for a while and may not get the message in a timely manner. Remember Facebook is for SOCIAL networking and not for proper communication.

Another frustration I have with Facebook is people use it to say things they would never say otherwise and feel justified because they are saying it to a Facebook "friend". Now I don't have a problem being connected to EVERYONE you may know but some things should not be said to some people. For instance I am a pastor's wife and from time to time I read discouraging words from members of another church. It is NOT my place to be the Facebook Pastor's wife to encourage a saint from another church. First, I don't know the whole story and I may say something wrong. Secondly, the appropriate pastor/pastor's wife may not be on Facebook at all or for a season and the devil can plant a seed that "Sis. Smith cares for me more than my pastor's wife." Ministerial ethics should alway supercede Facebook ethics. Those involved in ministry KNOW the ethics, too.

I don't feel Facebook is the forum for seeking advice or answers to problems. With the internet we can search out causes and cures to problems of any kind. Many medical problems have similar symptoms yet treatment for a specific problem can vary greatly. For instance many illnesses include fatigue and muscle weakness. A such illness is Guillain-Barre-Syndrome, a nerve problem that can lead to paralysis while a thyroid disorder is another. The chief complaints of both diseases are very similar yet the diagnosis is medical miles apart. The treatment is even a wider distance. Seeking advice via the Internet can lead a person on a wrong trail of help. In fact a person could spend hundreds of dollars and countless hours pursing the wrong medical attention only to start over while the suffering continued. Wrong temporary treatment can even cause a problem to grow worse.

Several times of late I have endeavored to caution people of their words on Facebook. I have asked people to think of a scripture and post it when their thoughts would be negative. Or would remind a person of the love of God. Sadly, others had already read the negative comments and possibly were giving wrong advice or forming wrong opinions. We all have bad days. I do not want an opinion formed of me in the midst of a bad moment.

Facebook can be a great place to solicit prayer or post prayer requests. However, just as most churches no longer have 'spoken' prayer request time because many used it is a gossip time neither should Facebook be used to exploit or spread gossip.

Often a person feels a need to carry something to others or talk. Really before carrying to our Facebook friends we should carry to our Friend, Jesus. The old song "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" sums up much of my thoughts this beautiful Sunday morning.

Enjoy the lyrics and if you know the tune sing along as you read.


What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear, May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME reminder, thank you Sis Smith!!!

Love you tons!!!! Praying for you.
-Cindy Lou

Karen J. Hopper said...

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes I find out too much about someone on Facebook. Way too much info!!!

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Full of insights and pointers we should all put to good use! Thanks again, Tracie!

Debbie O'Brien said...

Appreciate your post. I have never met you, but have met or know of people you know. I appreciate your blogs and facebook posts. You wisdom and sincerity seem so real. I may never meet you, but I pray for you and enjoy your writing of the revival in Conroe and how your church is involved in your community.