Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Am I Part Giraffe?


Giraffes have the shortest sleep cycle of any mammal. They sleep between 10 minutes and 2 hours in a 24-hour period or an average of 1.9 hours of sleep per day. For Giraffes it is not a sleep disorder that keeps them awake. It is just the way God made them.

Last week I had surgery. While I am not in pain I am not comfortable sleeping at night nor am I sleeping during the day. Even the 2 nights I took pain medication I was not able to sleep. During my interrupted sleep I have prayed, thought, planned, etc.

Last night I had a comforting thought during one of my long awake times. My heavenly Father never sleeps and He was awake with me. David declared, “He who keeps you will not slumber” (Psalms 121:3). God’s sleeplessness is for our good. Verse 5 states, “The Lord is your keeper.” God keeps us, protects us, and cares for us.

I know I’m not part Giraffe despite the fact I have a long neck and long legs. I also know this season in my life will pass but I’m thankful my Heavenly Father is with me every step of the way.

2 comments:

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Enjoyed your blog!!!! And I am praying for a swift recovery for you!!!!! Love and gentle hugs!!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Praying for your complete recovery although in your sleeplessness, He's given you a very good idea for a very good post.