Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The WORD

The Word of God is powerful and true. It amazes me people can subscribe to books written on how to rear children, handle finances, build a home, etc and trust every word of the author yet pick and choose what to believe in the Word of God. The Word of God was written many years ago yet so precisely addresses topics pertinent to our lives today. Additionally, it very clearly describes the world in which we live although it is far from the world that existed at the time of its origin.

Through out my life I have used scripture during good and bad times. I endeavor to use it as a road map for my life. Often my husband quotes scripture to me or visa versa. In rearing our children we have quoted scripture to them. Additionally, we had them recite scripture. One of our children went thru a phase of saying "I can't...." It could be he couldn't get a hot wheel maneuvered as he wanted, he couldn't ride his bike, etc. Finally, I had enough. I had him recite Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" a few times. Often I would have our children recite scripture to help guide them in their lives.

We didn't use scripture only to change the nature of a child but to encourage a child. As teens we endeavored to make our children financially responsible. We felt it important for them to get jobs when they were 16. Of course even younger they would babysit, mow yards, etc. If a child doesn't have earning power we felt they shouldn't have the privilege to go out with friends, drive vehicles, etc. Any time a person drives a vehicle he has a risk of either getting a ticket or an accident. Our rule is the child must PAY for these offenses. If a child doesn't work how can he pay? Additionally, if our children went to eat with us we paid. However, by the time they were 16 if they chose to eat with friends they paid. Of course along the way we gave them 'gifts' of money when we chose. Now as adults it amazes me how my children can make their money stretch. It takes more than a year or two to learn this lesson. We've pastored long enough to see those who were taught for longer periods of time by their parents the child become more responsible as adults. Now that I painted our families scenario of money in regards to our children, often we have quoted to our children Philippians 4:19. "And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Another popular verse in our household has been I Peter 5:7."Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you."

This morning I read the blog of Linda Elms. She told of God's protection to her daugther-in-law and grandchildren in a tornado. During the storm Brenda told the girls that just as God took care of Noah he would take care of them. This caused me to think of the comfort the Word of God brings. Thankfully, the girls were already familiar with the Bible and they simply needed a reminder God was their protection.

Parents need to teach the Word to their children. Not only does a child need to be able to recite the word but apply the Word to their daily lives. These are only a few instances of the Word in relation to our family. Surely you have other examples. Feel free to share an example or two in the comments.

Let's never forget the Word!

4 comments:

Sis. Susan Roen said...

How true! And what a clear, wonderful reminder for all of us!
Thanks!!!

Jana Allard said...

Excellent post!

Keith and Carla said...

Great post!

iluv2prshim said...

Isn't it amazing how the Lord works?! I have been thinking along these same lines also. The Word of God is so powerful. I just wonder how many people REALLY read it and do what it says? Not preaching. Just thinking a lot lately on this subject. This is an excellent post!