Friday, July 3, 2009

27 Years & Counting

Today marks our 27th wedding anniversary. I am truly blessed to have shared the past 27 years plus 8 months of dating with my best friend. Kent came into my life at a very difficult time. Dad was sick when we were attracted to each other. Soon after Dad passed away. Kent made the approximate 15 hour drive from Aransas Pass, Texas to Birmingham, Alabama to be with me. We had only 3 dates after Dad passed away before getting engaged. Totally crazy, I know. I would flip if Redonia did that to me. I must add that Kent and I met at Texas Bible College. Kent was 7 and I was 5. Our Dads were students in the late 60’s.

For all but 2.5 years of our married life we have been involved in full-time ministry. Two of those years we were at Texas Bible College. Kent has been incredible at juggling responsibilities of church (work) and home. There has never been a question in my mind if I was his priority. Many times we have spent hours working together for God. Many of our anniversaries or birthdays have been spent serving in ministry. However, when those times occur we always find a way to get some alone time, too. This year is an example. We will work at the Fireworks Warehouse on our anniversary but next week we will spend quality time together in California.

Redonia posted a status on Facebook today that made me proud. Redonia gets annoyed when people say their "significant others" are perfect and they would not change anything about them. If that’s the case your relationship has no point. The point of a relationship, especially a serious one, is changing learning and growing together. That’s the only way it can last. No one is perfect and if you really think they are your mind is jaded and reality is gonna hit you hard.. just sayin.. Neither Kent nor I are perfect but we have definitely worked together on ourselves and have grown together.

God has blessed us with two children, a daughter-in-law, and a wonderful church. What more can a couple committed to ministry want? It’s amazing the many many wonderful memories we have made the past 27 years. I’m thankful he’s still my boyfriend. I still think he’s adorable, charming, witty, and good looking. He is conistent, honest, and fair. He has conservative views and values that are easy to follow. He strives for balance and moderation. I look forward to the next 27 years spent with him.

Happy Anniversary, Babe! I LOVE YOU!!!!

5 comments:

Linda Weldon said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you! I love you both so much and I am so appreciative of the wonderful examples you are to other married couples, especially the young, newly married couples. I hope you have a fantastic, relaxing week next week and are able to thoroughly enjoy every day!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Happy Anniversary to you both. Enjoy your time out here in California! Most of all relax while you're here.

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Kent! Have a wonderful, wonderful vacation in California!!!!!! I guess if Kent can't take his cell or blackberry, you won't be blogging or on FB either.....but I will wait for all the pictures and info when you get back. Love youall!

Keith and Carla said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you!!! Wishing you a relaxing and safe trip next week. Love you!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Happy 27th Anniversary - and may blessings continue to flow in the Smith household. May your trip to California produce many wonderful memories.