Tuesday, July 7, 2009

'09 California Vacation - Day 1 Update

The Monterey, California area is one of the most relaxing places to spend a summer vacation. We left the extreme heat of Texas and flew into a cool 59 degrees. Upon stepping out of the airport I thought I was going to freeze. Of course my jackets were tightly packed away. I felt sure we wouldn't enjoy the convertible. However, by morning when the sun was up we braved opening the top and enjoyed the cool breezes and bright sunshine.

Yesterday we enjoyed breakfast at a popular downtown Monterey diner. The french toast and crisp fried bacon was delish. Kent enjoyed biscuits and gravy. We spent some time driving around Monterey. Then we enjoyed the beautiful, SPECTACULAR views of the 17-Mile Drive. Never have I enjoyed scenery any more beautiful.

Driving along the 17 Mile Drive were beautiful homes, ocean, foliage, and golf courses. The highlight of the 17 Mile Drive was Pebble Creek Resort. Kent really enjoyed the putting green. The golf course there is amazing. We browsed the quaint shops. I bought Kent a cute golfing hat as a souvenir.

We exited the 17 Mile Drive thru Carmel. Carmel is another beautiful quaint town. The Carmel beaches are beautiful. The water is the color of the Caribbean, beautiful turquoise. The sand is pretty and white, something we don't enjoy in Galveston. The homes in this area are very pretty. One thing I've noticed is regardless to how large are small the landscape is beautiful. The weather is perfect for gorgeous flowers.

After leaving Carmel we took Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz. I wasn't as fond of Santa Cruz. I know if my children were with me they would have preferred Santa Cruz. It is complete with beaches, shopping, and an amusement park on the beach. As we drove beside the roller coasters on the beach we reminisced our vacations spent at amusement parks with the children. We quickly left the area and found the quaint downtown area. I bought a few prizes for the girls.

The roadside between Monterey and Santa Cruz is lined with commercial farms. We passed lots of lettuce and strawberries. The strawberries are currently being harvested. We stopped at a farmers market and bought some fresh fruit.

On the way back from Santa Cruz we pulled off Hwy 1 to Moss Landing. We found a commercial fishing area where seafood was being loaded into huge coolers and loaded into 18 wheelers. We ate at a little seafood dive. It is obviously a very popular locals hangout.

After returning to Monterey we went to Cannery Row and enjoyed an Imax Film about sharks. Those 3-d films make the fish appear to be in your face. Yikes! We enjoyed coffee at a small local coffee shop. The time change is making us tired at night and awake early. We headed to the hotel for an early bedtime. This morning I awoke @ 4:18 which would be 6:18 CST. I may need a nap before the day is over.

I will be posting a slideshow of our first day in a few minutes. We have wonderful plans for the day....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, I am SO JEALOUS! Have fun! I am glad you are getting a break. Love you girl!

Linda Weldon said...

This definitely sounds like my kind of vacation! I love the pics you posted and your descriptions of your first day's events sound so wonderful! So glad you are having a relaxed time! Thank you for taking the time to write about your vacation and post pics to share with all of us! Love you bunches!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Sounds like you've been very busy. Yes, 17-mile Drive is breathtaking - and Carmel's shops are so much fun. I loved taking the trip with you (in my thoughts). Now I've figured out how we will take our next doctors trip up to SF next month. Coastal all the way!

teresa bohannon said...

Don't you love the CA coast! And to think I left it for TX....
The old Western district camp grounds was in Santa Cruz, (where I received the Holy Ghost when I was 10).