Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October :: Pastor's Appreciation Month

This morning I would like to give honor to my pastor, R. Kent Smith. For over 18 years now he has served as my pastor. I'm certain the road has not always been easy. I know there have been many pressures associated with his calling. I've watched as he has juggled responsibilities of the office and the parsonage. This morning I will not enumerate the many accomplishments of my pastor though they be GREAT nor will I enumerate the battles though they be great. I simply want to state I APPRECIATE my pastor. I love you babe!

CUPC honored us as a ministry couple Sunday night. We received many beautiful cards and some had very heartfelt words personally inscribed. We were given cookies, candies, magazines, cash, checks, and even hundreds of dollars in gift cards. Also included in the basket were envelopes for our children with money from a very thoughtful family. Each kind word and gift means so much.

Today I would like to honor each of my friends who serve in ministry. I know the battle hasn't always been easy but the battle isn't ours to fight. While some may be enjoying harvest others are no doubt in the dead of winter. Regardless the season I APPRECIATE each of you my dear friends.

If you are not a Pastor or Pastor's wife reading today find a way to show your pastor's family your appreciation. In fact heartfelt gratitude through out the year will help your leader be able to serve in a better way. It's amazing what a simple kind word or thank you means. Little things really do mean so much. Bake their favorite dessert, give them a gift card to a restaurant, send a bouquet of flowers, or pay for their meal when in a group. If they have small children buy a little prize for their children. If they have older children give them a gift card to a fast food restaurant. Buy them a book, a magazine or even a candle. You never know when the battle may be tough and your kind deed helps them push to victory.

I'm thankful CUPC is filled with CARING people who don't just show us their love and support in October but through out the year I feel many of their prayers strengthen me. I hope today I can encourage someone else to do the same for your pastor's family.

Pastor's wife, if your church doesn't show CARE just hang on God will send someone your way to teach them. I am truly a believer in we reap what we sow. Show your congregation you care and it will not be long and they will support you when you need it the most!

Happy Pastor's Appreciation Month!!! It is with joy I serve and my honor to be connected to so many wonderful friends in ministry....

1 comment:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Beautiful post. Not knowing either you or your husband personally is my loss. However in reading both of your posts I know beyond a shadow of doubt that you both are lights shining brightly, and examples for both ministry and saints to live by. CUPC is a blessed people because of your leadership. God bless you!