Sunday, October 4, 2009

General Conference :: Wow

Kent, Trent, Calah, and I flew out of Houston's IAH Tuesday evening. After clearing security we opted for Pappadeaux's. I enjoyed a delish appetizer of coconut shrimp. While dining we spotted the Grandquists and Chad and Heidi. Of course other Pentecostals joined us on the tiny jet to St Louis.

Wednesday we enjoyed the city. The weather was beautiful and mild. We dined outdoors at the Cheesecake Factory. Many other Pentecostal's were enjoying the food and weather, too. Wednesday night we enjoyed a tremendous drama "One to be Won". After the drama we enjoyed friends and food at Steak N Shake. We laughed and cried with Mark & Diane Green, Brian & Jana Allard, and Rob & Shara McKee. Kent was the taxi driver since we rented a Suburban. I KNEW after such a wonderful first day conference was going to be amazing.

Thursday Calah and I enjoyed spending time in the exhibits and shopping @ PPH. I found good soundtraxs for Redonia to use for the Children's Choir. Calah got incredible resources for teaching the Stand Student Ministry girls. After the men were finished with business we enjoyed lunch with Ken, Kay, and Kameron -Kent's sister and family. Thursday Bro. David Bernard was elected General Superintendent of the UPCI. Kent served on the Texas District Sunday School Committee with Bro. Bernard years ago. I always enjoyed our visits around the dining tables at the old campgrounds. Sis. Bernard is a fun and friendly person. Thursday night General Superintendent Kenneth Haney did an amazing job. He preached about 7 things we must maintain. Wow!!! What a clear and powerful sound! If we lose any one of the 7 we will not be powerful. After service we had dinner with Trent & Calah, the Alba's, and Darren & Amy Shelton.

Friday was the annual Minister's Wives Breakfast. This year I was honored to have Calah join me. We sat with Sis. Russo, the wife of our District Superintendent, Sis. Roffie Ensey, my dear friend - Diane Green, Sis. Lewis, Sis. Davis and her daughter, Lori Coon. While I enjoyed each speaker I especially enjoyed Jaye Rodenbush and Rachel Coltharp. The theme was "Let the Young Church Speak". Sis. Rodenbush prompted us to think what our children are reading. She gave powerful facts and illustrations. Sis. Coltharp encouraged us to realize the future is in our hands. Sis. Haney has done an amazing job as first lady of the UPCI. Under her leadership we have begun powerful ladies day services. Each breakfast has been heartfelt, too. Friday we went to lunch with approx 70 people all connected thru WordShare, a minister's forum. We had the distinct privilege of sitting with Bro. Jack Leaman and his son. I love the wisdom of Bro. Leaman. I was thankful Trent and Calah had this great opportunity. Friday night was the great Foreign Missions service. Ken and Kay were able to meet their PIM budget! After service we went to dinner with Bro. and Sis. Elms. Trent and Calah had plans but aborted their plans to be with the Elms. I'm so thankful for the influence of the Elms in our children's lives. Despite the LOUD music we enjoyed our time together with Bro. and Sis. Wendall Elms, TX Dist Secretary.

Saturday morning was a social time for minister's and wives in the exhibits. It was great seeing many of our friends. Later we made our way to the arena for the annual youth day service. Texas District Youth President, Michael Ensey, was one of the speakers. We are proud he was nominated Promotion's Director of the General Youth Division. Texas will miss his GREAT leadership. We enjoyed lunch at Maggiano's with Gene & Karla Holley and Trent & Calah. The Holleys are great friends. I'm thankful for the love and respect they show our kids. Trent loves the Holley boys, too. Saturday night was the Home Mission's service. Yes, I cried like a baby and even thought I might could do home missions one more time. It was an amazing service. After service we went with one of my bestest friends in the whole wide world from my Alabama childhood, Pam Hamilton Dobbs and her husband, Mike. Pam and Mike pastor a great revival church in Wiggins Mississippi. She is the ladies president for Mississippi. Also, joining was another great friend, Ruth Reider Harvey. This was a perfect finale to General Conference 2009.

After returning to the hotel we visited with many friends in the lobby. We were all very tired but knew conference was coming to a quick end and wanted to be together just a little bit longer. I saw so many friends during the course of conference...I hate to begin naming them for fear I will omit someone. (Bethels, Johnsons, Caruthers, Sanders, Hills, Hursts, Woffards, Roberts, Lawrences, Howells, Rose, Rodenbush, Richardsons, Hughes, Flowers, Lewis, Wheelers, Colegroves, Ramseys, Princes, Stanleys, Eades, Hursts, Guidroz, Whitmires, Strawns, Stones, Wehrles, Boones, Rashalls, Blakes, Perrys, Williams, Myres, McLaughlins, Rhoads, Robinsons and many many many many more!!!) I should have NEVER started naming! lol Oh and one of our missionary wives, Sis. McFarland, introduced herself to me. She reads the blog. I actually met several people who said they knew me from the blog. Girls, I'm sorry I've slacked a little of late but hopefully will get back on track.

I am thankful to be apart of such a GREAT organization. It is a part of my heritage that I will forever cherish, preserve, and hand down to my grandchildren. Now that conference is over it's back to work, planning, and harvest in Conroe.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

This was a wonderful, relaxing read. So glad ya'll had a great time!

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

Thanks for letting me go with you