Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ministry: What it has encompassed for me

Wanted: Adult female to serve without pay. Must be able to function without complaint as secretary, music director, nursery worker, janitor, auxiliary president and fund-raiser. On call 24 hours a day. Cooking abilities a plus. Good sense of humor helpful.

In many churches, this is the unpublished job description of the pastor's wife--perhaps the only profession that has no real job description but is deemed vital to her husband's success. Lawyers do not depend on their wives to defend clients. Doctors don't need their wives in the operating room. But in many churches, a pastor needs his wife in the ministry.
-- The Baptist Standard

In our early days of ministry often I was asked "Do you sing?" Then "Do you play the organ?" Since I did neither an awkward moment of silence followed. The pastor or pastor's wife asking grew quiet. I wasn't certain the reason for the awkwardness. Was it they couldn't believe I wasn't going to woo the crowd before my husband preached; or did they expect me draw people to the altar at the close of his message if his preaching atempts failed. Finally, God inspired me or I became brave probably the later. I began to replace the awkward moment of silence with "I don't do either but normally I pray and worship".

From the very begining I felt that I was apart of Kent's team. Never once did I feel I wasn't wanted, needed, or have anything to contribute. My role was much different than playing the keys or becoming a team player with a microphone. My role seemed to be more of an encouraging voice, a friend, and a companion to my preaching husband. My roles in serving others have always been more like the one mentioned by the Baptist Standard. I have served where I was needed regardless of my abilities.

Our first full time position was in Shepherd, Texas in 1985. I was 22 years of age. While sitting in one of our first services the pastor peeked thru the door and called me out of service. As I walked into the office there sat the financial secretary whom I had not met. Pastor informed me the secretary and his wife were moving and would not be back after that service. I was told to sit in the office and be trained in ONE service for the postion. While I had been employed for the Department of Defense Contract Auditing Agency and understood much about accounting principals I'm not sure I was qualified for the position of financial secretary. Little did I know this was one of the greatest experiences of my life for many reasons.

A later full-time position included the role of Kent being principal of a christian school. I found my self teaching first and second grades and high school grammar. I certainly did not have the qualifications needed for much of this duty. Again this was a great experience that equipped me for later needs. During this tenure I dealt with several disgruntled parents, watched as church members felt their children needed special treatment, etc. God used this time to prepare me for later.

Thankfully, in early days of ministry I learned to be able to talk with people despite my shyness and pray in the altars. Both of our positions prior to pastoring required that I work along side my husband. What a preparation for pastoring!

As a pastor's wife I have filled many positions. I have been the sole Sunday School teacher, Sunday School Director, and then teacher again under other's leadership. I have been a praise singer, choir member, and solo singer. The first year of our christian school I served as secretary, teacher, lunch lady, and administrator simultaneously. Now I serve as an advisor to our administrator and fine staff of 12 or 13 persons. In early days I was the only janitor. Later we were a family on the cleaning team. Now I serve as overseer to an outsourced janitorial crew. I have been the financial secretary and now assist when needed in our financial office. I have taken neighborhood children in my car to church, driven the church van, became captain of a bus route, and now oversee 2 busses and a van. Prior to a youth group I worked with the youth and would have them in our home weekly to play games. Now we have 3 separate groups for student activities - Kidz Klub, Stand Student Ministries, and Impact.

Currently, I go to the office with my husband Monday thru Friday. I have a small office (closet) with a corner computer desk in Kent's office. From that tiny 4 foot by 4 foot work space much is accomplished. We have a wonderful administrative assistant, school secretary, and financial secretary, assistant pastor, and school staff. I endeavor to be available to support them. When my intercom isn't buzzing, the adminstrative assistant isn't asking me a question, or someone isn't texting me I find time to study, write encouraging notes or cards, or even take personal time for Facebook or reading blogs. I am not required by my husband nor the church to go to the office but I go because I love the place God has called Kent and me to serve. Ocassionally, I skip out for a couple of hours to shop or meet a friend or family member for lunch.

While many of the things I have listed are of the 'physical roles' my most fullfilled moments come from the 'spiritual roles'. Nothing is more satisfying than praying and working with people and watching them overcome or grow spiritually. I enjoy praying for people in the privacy of my home, with people in service, or even meeting with people at night or away from church to pray. Outreach is something I fill God has anointed me to do. I find it very easy and rewarding to bring people to church and work with new converts. Last night while visiting with a new family who comes as a result of our busses I felt overcome with a burden for them. Several was standing around. I asked Kent if would could pray with this couple. I can't explain the faith and excitement I felt as we prayed in our church foyer.

Being a pastor's wife has not been all fun and glamour but its rewards have far exceeded the problems. When the work becomes mundane and the pressures great I attempt to find something or someone where I can make a difference. Yesterday was one of those days. I dealt with a couple of situations that were less than pleasant. After lunch I returned to the office and needed to do something positive. I quicky began moving around greenery, decor, etc. In a few minutes time Deadra and I had refreshed the ladies bathroom, 3 offices, my space, and our church foyer. I'm not sure anyone even noticed last night at church but I sure felt better!

This entry will continue over the next few months. It will not be my sole subject but while attempting to help the ministers wives of CUPC (more than 10 of them) I thought others may enjoy my thoughts. This is not one of my lessons but rather a look at what ministry has been to me...

3 comments:

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Great post, Tracie!!! Since I knew you in high school and know you now.......wow! you have done so much...mostly, you have developed into a mentor, advisor, counselor, encourager, secretary, writer, super hostess....and on and on! What a role model you are for the young ministers' wives in your church!

Anonymous said...

I look forward for future posts on the subject of Ministry. We are contemplating a church move closer to our home and are praying for God's guidence in the decision. One is a more established work (15 yrs, about 60 members) and the the other is a new work at a Home Missions church (4 yrs with mostly new unlearned saints). My husband is an awesome bible teacher and will be a tremendous help and blessing to either pastor and church. I will fill in and help where ever I'm needed. Thanks for your inspiring words. I always look forward to reading your blog.

Jerri Barnes ~ Burna, KY

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!