Friday, January 29, 2010

Seeking Answers...Numbers 9:8

I have had opportunity to talk with 7 and possibly more persons the past couple of weeks who were seeking answers. Each of these persons articulated their discussions differently but ultimately each were discussing the same point. They have been praying about direction, wisdom, guidance, answers, the will of God, or the call of God. What a complex subject!

Does one really hear the voice of God? How do I know what God is saying? How am I sure this is from God? I feel God is wanting me to do this so do I need to begin doing so and so. What a whirlwind of emotions follow!

As a pastor or pastor's wife the last thing we want to do is misguide someone. I find these times like wading off in the deep yet not being a very good swimmer. I can swim enough to stay afloat yet I am not an accomplished swimmer. In fact I am better at floating and dog paddling. How will I survive the deep?

Today I have lunch with a wonderful young lady needing answers. She isn't looking to me for the answer rather looking to me to facilitate her finding answers. I never take such meetings times lightly. I marvel at the times people want to talk with us about finding answers and God begins nudging my spirit.

Last night was a sleepless night for me. Finally I thought of a couple of words. I wasn't sure if God was giving me these words for me or for those I will endeavor to help -"BE STILL". Upon searching I began to read Numbers 9:8.

As I read Number 9:8 from several translations the Word of God was illumninated to me in a most powerful way.

New International Version (©1984)
Moses answered them, "Wait until I find out what the LORD commands concerning you."
New Living Translation (©2007)
Moses answered, "Wait here until I have received instructions for you from the LORD."

English Standard Version (©2001)
And Moses said to them, “Wait, that I may hear what the LORD will command concerning you.”

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
Moses therefore said to them, "Wait, and I will listen to what the LORD will command concerning you."

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Moses answered them, "Wait here until I find out what the LORD commands you to do."

King James Bible
And Moses said unto them, Stand still, and I will hear what the LORD will command concerning you.

American King James Version
And Moses said to them, Stand still, and I will hear what the LORD will command concerning you.

American Standard Version
And Moses said unto them, Stay ye, that I may hear what Jehovah will command concerning you.

Bible in Basic English
And Moses said to them, Do nothing till the Lord gives me directions about you.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And Moses answered them: Stay that I may consult the Lord what he will ordain concerning you.

Darby Bible Translation
And Moses said to them, Stay, and I will hear what Jehovah commands concerning you.

English Revised Version
And Moses said unto them, Stay ye; that I may hear what the LORD will command concerning you.

Webster's Bible Translation
And Moses said to them, Stand still, and I will hear what the LORD will command concerning you.

World English Bible
Moses answered them, "Wait, that I may hear what Yahweh will command concerning you."

Young's Literal Translation
And Moses saith unto them, 'Stand ye, and I hear what Jehovah hath commanded concerning you.'

Moses was obviously in conversation and he asked them to stand or wait until he heard from God concerning them. Something leaped from reading these translations...(I guess I needed to read the many translations for it to sink!) Moses was confident that he would hear from God for the people. They needed to be patient and wait until he heard the commandments or direction concerning them.

Often people have questions or feel God calling or leading and want to do something immediately. I recognize a few powerful things in this verse. They discussed with the leader their concerns, the leader took authority and asked them to wait, Moses KNEW he would get clarity on the matter.

This also puts an incredible amount of pressure on leaders to handle people's affairs very carefully. Honestly, Kent and I have failed miserably in this scripture. Too often when people have approached us we allow our "Open Door" policy to hinder. I wonder if we said "Wait" what would be the outcome. Are people willing to submit and wait? All to often people approach their leaders with their minds made up. Of course then there are times like today when a sweet lady is tearful begging for help. She has prayed and isn't sure what God is saying.


God, help me to stay focused on you. I believe thru submission to You all things can be accomplished in the lives of those we are charged to lead.

3 comments:

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Once again, your blog has blessed me, Tracie. Thanks for sharing!!! Love you!!!!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Waiting for God's direction is such a hard thing to accept. However, if we are willing to commit ourselves to waiting on the Lord, in His season He will answer. Great post.

Linda Elms said...

Amen! What you have said is so true! One time when we were desperately needing an answer from God, the Lord spoke to my husband those two words. "STAND STILL"! We did and HE led the way.