Monday, January 25, 2010

Walking in the Midst of the Storm

"And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water." Matthew 14:28

Jesus responded and Peter walked on the water for a while. Then he began to look at the boisterous winds around him. When he did, he began to sink. Then Peter cried out to Jesus to save him.

Peter had the faith to call out to Jesus and ask Him to let him come to Him, and at Jesus' word He stepped out onto the water. When Peter began to sink, he had the faith to call out to Jesus to save him. Peter did not have the same faith in Jesus when he looked at the "storm" around him. We, like Peter, have faith in the Lord to step into the water when we get in trouble. When we begin to sink we have faith in Him to save us. It seems our trouble comes in the "middle" of the storm. That's when we have trouble believing and trusting Him. I trust Him to get me out there, I trust Him to save me when I sink, but can I trust Him when I'm in the storm raging all around me? Do I have the faith to believe that He can keep me afloat? Do I forget Who is with me on the stormy sea?

When Peter was sinking, Jesus asked him why he doubted. In other words...why did you doubt that I would take care of you while you were out here? We must learn to trust Him while we are in the boat, when we take that first step out of the boat, when we are sinking... and while we are going through "boisterous" times.

2 comments:

Manumanums said...

saw a quote the other day....can't remember exactly the wording...but the jist of it was this:

I'd rather be a "wet" water walking christian then a "dry" stayed in the boat christian.

Karen J. Hopper said...

In the "midst of the storm", He is the only one that will care for me. God said if we'd take one step, He'd take too. We must but trust.