Thursday, September 3, 2009

Rejoice With Those Who Rejoice

During my tenure of blogging as well as reading blogs of friends, family, acquaintances, and even those I don't know I have stumbled upon something. More recently I have become a member of the Facebook society. This social network has even stronger validated my observation. Quite honestly these observations have caused me to create certain tests. After gathering the data from my analysis I set out to understand why these tests yielded such alarming results.

Confused already? Well, I wish I were confused, however, after research I found I did not gather results any differently than researchers have already gathered. I certainly plan to use these findings to help my family, church family, and myself. Am I offended by the results? Absolutely not. Rather these findings have caused much introspective evaluation. Possibly I may have shifted to the far right in trying to improve upon myself.

I have questioned why did this shine so brightly as a lighthouse in the night to me. After studying, praying, and thinking I believe God led me to the answer. In January Kent and I were privileged to attend a conference. During this conference we felt God spoke to us about our selves and the ministry of CUPC. We felt He was leading us to a new dimension of personal growth as well as harvest in our city. One word kept ringing loudly in our ears, "CARE". For several weeks now I have felt God speaking to me through my evaluations. This morning early however I felt God led me to my answer.

Kent has led CUPC in being a great giving church. CARE has caused Kent to encourage our church to not only give of their finances but give of themselves. We have prayed that God would lead and guide us. Only today did I realize that my observations were most probably led by God. In devotional time I read that feeling happy for others is a sign of being a great giver. While CARE has often been associated with helping with newcomers and those in need a new level of CARE has been revealed to me. CARE is also through the avenue of rejoicing in others accomplishments.

Again, my husband is INCREDIBLE in this area. For several years now he regularly announces to our church accomplishments both large and small of church members. He announces job promotions, educational accomplishments, new homes, etc. In retrospect this morning I realize without his association to these announcements to CARE God was helping our church learn to CARE in the area that is the MOST challenging.

Today, if someone posts a wonderful accomplishment or exciting news on Facebook or a blog the comments are less than those posted of a slightly more negative or needy nature. Additionally, some give compliments to those who may be struggling or not enjoying success at the moment. However, the same statement can be made by someone not struggling and positive comments are fewer. However, I pray to always remember the success of others is not at my expense. It does not take away anything from my life rather my rejoicing will add to my life. Rejoicing in other's victory is truly an act of giving.

According to scripture we are admonished to not only share in the mourning of others but REJOICE in the victory of others. Romans 12: 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.

I am more determined than ever to CARE to the fullest. We have encouraged CARE to be outreaching and inreaching meaning outside the walls of our church as well as to our church family. Hopefully, the Lord's pulling at my spirit of rejoicing as well as mourning or praying with those in need can help move others around me into a deeper dimension of love and CARE.

8 comments:

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

The prodigals older brother was resentful when the prodigal was honored by his father....

Jealousy or personal insecurities are the main factors that prevent us from rejoicing with our brothers/sisters blessings....

I hope I always rejoice when my brother is blessed....

Great post babe.....

The Husband

Linda Weldon said...

Sis. Smith - this is one of the best posts I have read in a very long time. I felt the Holy Ghost in reading this and I KNOW you heard from God. I have been guilty in the past of having feelings of jealousy that someone received a particular blessing. There have also been times I felt utter joy in hearing of God's blessings to someone else. I know that the times I was guilty of jealousy and bad feelings, I was also more into myself and not close to HIM. Oh, Lord help me to have a heart like yours, that I may rejoice in ALL blessings you give - no matter who the recipient! Let me have the compassion for those who are hurting and struggling. I want to have more of HIM and less of me. Thank you Sis. Smith for being sensitive to God. I love you more than you know!

Kathy McElhaney said...

This is such a great post! I especially loved "the success of others is not at my expense. It does not take away anything from my life..." A revelation we all need.

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Tracie, this is an exceptional post.....and so, so true. How important it is for us rejoice with others, to recognize their blessings!!! We need to be careful to share prayer requests AND the answers so that we can all rejoice!!! Thanks so much!!!!!!

Keith and Carla said...

This is an excellent post - well said and true!!!

Anonymous said...

Definitely enjoyed your words of wisdom. Great post!

Karla said...

Awesome post! Thanks for the reminder. Love you & yours!

Jana Allard said...

Great post! I have always felt proud when a member of our congregation was blessed with a better job, home, vehicle, etc. They are my family and the better they look, then the better I look, too. It is difficult for me to comprehend how one can be jealous of their brother or sister receiving something good.