Thursday, September 10, 2009

How will Storms Benefit Me?

I've made a friend through blogging, Sue Davidson. Though I have not met Sue personally, I feel I've known her a very long time. We have talked on the phone, emailed, etc. Sue is one of the most thought persons. She sends cards and has given me a subscription to a most wonderful magazine "Southern Lady". I must confess I met Sue initially through her husband, Terry. Sue didn't do email or Facebook. She frequented my blogs but didn't leave a comment. Once she wanted to get a message to me so she had her husband email me for her. Since she in an online communicator, too!

Mr. Davidson is the Superintendent of Comanche Public Schools in Oklahoma. When school is in session he sends a weekday inspirational email to his staff. He added me to his email list and I am most thankful. Kent and I have told Mr. Davidson he should have been a preacher. He is very inspiring and motivational. After receiving a couple of Mr. Davidson's writings I emailed him and asked permission to use his writings in blogging, teaching, etc. Today's email spoke volumes to my heart.


Recently, a windstorm came through our town. After the storm, I noticed several dead limbs in the yard. There were also a couple of really weak trees that were damaged. I noticed, however, that the older trees with deep roots were not affected by the storm. In fact, they were stronger because most of the dead limbs were no longer there. Those dead limbs were a detriment to the health of the tree and could have harbored some diseases.

So, while some trees were severely damaged, others actually benefited from the storm. What was the difference? The trees that benefited have a really deep and strong root system. I believe life is like that. If we have a strong root system, if we really know what we believe, if we’ve made it a point to make sure we’re in a constant state of improvement and growth, the storms of life may be a little painful, but we won’t suffer irreparable damage. On the contrary, we’ll actually become stronger.

“I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.” - Louisa May Alcott

While storms certainly rage we MUST know what we believe. If we are rooted and grounded in the Word of God which is truth according to John 17:17 the storms can serve only to help us. Often dead limbs that Mr. Davidson spoke of occur in our lives, churches, etc. Those limbs are a real detriment. God has away of removing them. If we will stay rooted in truth we may feel the winds blow but we will only be made stronger by the wind.

Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Davidson for being valuable friends. I am certain Comanche District faculty, staff, and students are better because of your dedication and passion to enriching their lives.

1 comment:

Keith and Carla said...

AWESOME post and so true!!! We do not like the storms while going through them, but when we look back on them later, we realize how that they have helped us to grow even stronger than before. The storms are only for our good!