Wednesday, November 18, 2009

God is neither a Gadget nor Trinket

The following is derived from Crosswalk, an online devotional source.

“There is nothing little in God” – C. H. Spurgeon

The Israelites spiritual decline wasn't the heathen's problem nor did the worldly people cause it. God's children got themselves into trouble. They disobeyed God by marrying godless people, doing business with the heathen nations in attempt to get rich quick, and they "used" God and His sacred symbols. in I Samuel 4: 1, the Philistines encamped at Aphek. It seems the battle didn't go well for Israel. In fact, the Philistines killed 4,000 Israelite men. The Israelite elders decided to turn their "BIG" God into a "little" gadget. "Let us bring the ark of the covenant of the Lord here from Shiloh, that He (the Lord) may come among us and save us from the power of our enemies," (I Samuel 4: 3).

Basically the elders were saying get the trinket or gadget – the Ark of the Covenant and we'll show them who is holy. According to I Samuel 3 and 4 God did not go on this excursion. He wasn't invited ahead of time because He wasn't in the hearts of His people before the battle began. However, when calamity hit, out came the Ark of the Covenant which contained the tablets of God's precepts totally ignored by His children. Then they wanted to use this sacred, holy object like a magic trick to get them out of trouble. They were cheating, lying, stealing, and living immoral lives, but when things got bad, they hollered at the heathen, "We've got God on our side - see our ark!" We do the same when we take God's holiness lightly and replace it with symbols.
Modern day symbols can be our churches, church affiliation, holiness attire etc. I LOVE CUPC, the UPCI, and holiness without which no man can see God. However using these things for power when we face sickness or problems is the same as the Israelites. When we don't deal with internal problem we are like Eli who chose to ignore the problems in his home. It is futile and hypocritical to go around and call out the "heathen" or to try and force "holy" symbols to demonstrate power or miracles. It is like saying “See, these Ten commandments and this Ark".

I prefer to pattern after after Moses when he came from the mount with God. Moses radiated with God’s holiness when he came down from Sinai. All of Israel knew he had been with God. The glory was reflected in him - from the inside out.

If I allow God apart of my every day life by being with Him I will not need Him in form of little trinkets or gadgets to try to fix problems, encourage others, or benefit those I serve. God is bigger than any of these circumstances and He doens't need to be visiable in form of a trinket or gadget. I want to allow Him to be the BIG God that He is. I want more of Him!


Psalms 63 (The Message)
1 God—you're my God! I can't get enough of you!
I've worked up such hunger and thirst for God,
traveling across dry and weary deserts.

2-4 So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open,
drinking in your strength and glory.
In your generous love I am really living at last!
My lips brim praises like fountains.
I bless you every time I take a breath;
My arms wave like banners of praise to you.

5-8 I eat my fill of prime rib and gravy;
I smack my lips. It's time to shout praises!
If I'm sleepless at midnight,
I spend the hours in grateful reflection.
Because you've always stood up for me,
I'm free to run and play.
I hold on to you for dear life,
and you hold me steady as a post.

1 comment:

Sis. Susan Roen said...

What a great devotional for this morning!!!! Thanks, Tracie!!